Saturday, May 9, 2015

Review: Poquito

I stumbled across this great little cafe and bar in Wellington when I had about half an hour between the gym and a hair appointment (which sounds so 'ladies who lunch', but it was a Saturday, ok). I was really hungry and I was trying to find something really yummy, but also quick - and a chicken salad sandwich just wasn't going to cut it.

Poquito is Spanish for 'a little bit' and that's pretty much just what I was looking for. On their website they say they are Wellington's best kept secret, and I am inclined to agree. They have a small brunch menu, as well as tapas, cocktails, other alcoholic drinks and coffee. The place is pretty small (sensing the theme here?) but there was a table just by the door which I grabbed. It opens up to some more tables up the back, but it's definitely got an intimate, cosy vibe.

I ordered the Spanish baked egg, with tomato, black bean and chorizo. The woman who served me was lovely and I only waited for about 10 minutes for my food - the apology for the wait when she brought it to me was completely unnecessary. The baked eggs were perfect - it was exactly what I felt like, and just the right size - and at $12.50, frankly, a bargain. Simple, uncomplicated but delicious. They weren't stingy on the chorizo, which is always a bonus, and the sprinkling of toasted almonds on the top was surprisingly on the money and added a really nice texture. The bread was fresh and lightly toasted, but not too hard.


I think this place has got a great thing going on - nice, simple menus with a few things so they can focus on doing them really well. I feel like they would be able to make the shift from brunch during the day, to tapas and cocktails in the evening with ease, providing a nice atmosphere no matter the time of day. I just had a peek at their Twitter, and it seems they have live music there some evenings as well. I'm looking forward to sampling some vino tinto and diablos a caballo here one night very soon.

Poquito
11 Tory St
Wellington, New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment