Sunday, May 24, 2015

Baked Lamb Meatballs with Pasta

I went to Auckland for work the other week, just for the night. My flight arrived at about 6pm the night before I had to attend the work thing, so of course I'd already researched where I wanted to get dinner from before I even got there. There was a well-recommended Japanese restaurant, Kushi, near my hotel so I ordered some takeaway - so I could eat it in my fluffy hotel  robe, in my giant hotel bed of course- and sat down to wait. I was reading an old Mindfood magazine, and came across this recipe. I was so hungry and this looked so delicious, I copied it straight down onto my boarding pass (so old school - my phone was flat, ok).

A friend was coming for dinner last week, and to watch a couple of the latest Game of Thrones episodes, and the weather was pretty crappy so I thought this would be a nice warming dish.

Baked Lamb Meatballs with Pasta

800g lamb mince
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon olive oil and extra to drizzle
800g chopped tomatoes in juice
3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves - I used dried
1 lemon, rind finely zested
1 1/2 cups black olives - I used pitted kalamata olives, chopped up
200g feta cheese, sliced lengthways
300g dried orzo pasta
oregano leaves, fried, to garnish - I omitted these

Preheat the over to 180 degrees. Mix the lamb, garlic and onion together - using your hands is best - and season. Oil a deep baking dish with the olive oil and put the flour onto a plate. Make meatballs from the mixture and roll them in the flour, before putting them into the baking dish and toss them around in the oil a bit. Cook for 15-20 minutes until browned. Add tomatoes, oregano, lemon zest and olives to the baking dish. Top with the feta slices and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until feta is golden. I used reduced fat feta, so it didn't really brown - or perhaps I was just too hungry and impatient!


Once the meatballs are about 20 minutes in, cook the orzo in a large pot of salted boiling water for 11 minutes or until al dente. Drain, divide between plates and top with the baked meatballs and fried oregano leaves, if using.

This was pretty yummy, but I felt like it needed something else. Maybe some more veggies, or a bit of spice. When I make it again, I'll add in some chilli or harissa and some spinach. I meant to top it with some fresh parsley in the absence of the fried oregano too, but I forgot. Excellent on a cold night though, and pretty quick. I've never used orzo before, and it's a nice alternative to your regular sorts of pasta as it has the same texture as rice - I'd like to experiment with it a bit more. And you really can't go past something topped with slices of cheese. Next time, I'll throw caution to the wind and go full fat feta. Yummo!


No comments:

Post a Comment