Tuesday, December 1, 2009

When things go tits up while travelling

There´s always a few hiccups when you´re travelling. Like the time I accidently washed my passport in Berlin and had to get a new one in the space of a few hours as I was due to leave the country. Or the time I spent all my cash in France and then discovered my ATM card wouldn´t work. Or the time(s) the old van I was driving arond Australia broke down in the middle of the outback. It´s all part of the experience right? Well, this trip has been no different. My first two weeks of travelling went pretty smoothly....the worst thing that happened was arriving at my hostel in Montreal to discover that it had been closed for the last 3 weeks because the building next door started to fall down. Fortunately it was re-opening that day, so all it meant for me was a few hours without any power (good time to go for a walk), no hot shower that night and a pretty empty hostel.

And then I left Canada. I had one of those crazy cheap flights that goes to a dozen random places before arriving at the final destination, and takes 3 days to get there. Ok it wasn´t quite that bad - almost 24 hours of travel time, flying from Montreal to Toronto to San Salvador to Lima. I checked my bag in all the way to Lima at Montreal Airport, double checked with the counter staff that all I had to do was pick it up in Lima and was assured that it would and ignored the sinking feeling that it wasn´t going to make it - I thought to myself, hey they´re professionals, what could go wrong? Then, when I was the last person standing at the baggage carousel in Lima with a forlorn look on my face, I realised I should have trusted my instincts and taken some underwear and toiletries out of my bag before checking it. To cut a long story short, for 2 days the airline didn´t even know where my bag was and seemed in no hurry to find it. After many phone calls and a few stressful moments, I finally got it back after 3 days - just in time as I left Lima the next day. I was wearing my warmest and dirties clothes for the flight because Montreal was cold and I planned on doing washing as soon as I arrived in Peru. The airline gave me money to spend on neccesary stuff so at least I could get the basics. Crisis over....and on to the next. Getting out of a taxi outside my hotel the following day, I clipped the mirror of a passing car with the taxi door and broke it. I couldn´t really communicate with the driver with my limited Spanish aside from ´lo siento signor´ but the guide from my tour, that had started the previous day, was fortunately on hand. The driver of the car I hit wanted me to give him US$150 as it was a new car and he would have to replace the whole mirror. My guide talked him down to US$80...so I was pretty lucky in the end I guess. And it´s only money after all. I am hoping that I´ve had my quota of bad luck for this trip and that the next 3 months will go smoothly. I´m loading up on good travelling karma!

Aside from these minor set backs, Peru has been great and I´ve already done so much - experienced loads of good food and drink - my favourites have been ceviche (raw fish marinated in chili and lime) and chicha (a drink made from purple corn, tastes a bit like Ribena), I´ve seen penguins on the Ballestas Islands, tasted all sorts of kinds of Pisco (a spirit a bit like tequila), flown over the Nazca lines in a very small plane (I was very brave and sweating profusely), seen enough mummies and skeletons to last a lifetime, met some awesome people from assorted countries, marvelled at some massive sand dunes from a lake oasis at the bottom, and slept a record 7 hours on an overnight bus. Chomping at the bit for the Inca trail.....6 days and counting!

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds like a real adventure! Can't wait to here what happens next. :)

    ReplyDelete