Friday, August 14, 2009

Facebook

Ok, so I love Facebook. I am the first one to admit it. My network of friends and family spans the globe so, for me, it's an easy way to keep in touch with everyone. It's also a great time filling activity when I am bored at work- much like this blog. I wouldn't call myself a Facebook addict per se (I can stop anytime I want, I swear!) - I don't usually update my status more than once a day (it's not Twitter and I don't pretend that anyone is THAT interested in what I'm doing) and it's the only social networking site I belong to. However, there are some things about Facebook that bug me.

The people that have 1,814 friends. No - you don't. I am pretty selective with the people I add on Facebook and consider them all to be actual friends, hence why I don't have anything close to that number. If I get a 'friend request' or I'm considering adding someone to my 'friends', I ask myself "Would I get together with them, if we were in the same city, for a catch up?". If the answer is no, then they're not really my friend - and why would I want them to be able to see things like my personal photos? I find it a bit weird when random people I went to school with, but hardly knew, add me just because they want to see what I look like now, or want to know what I'm up to. Don't get me wrong, if they want to reconnect, then great - but sometimes you know it's just because they're being nosy.

Sometimes on Facebook, you're gonna see something you don't wanna see. Exes will turn up in pictures, friends will tag you in embarrassing photos, pictures of a friend's trip to some exotic place will make you sick with jealousy and someone will think it's funny to post a photo of one of their friends, drunk and with their genitals out. And sometimes relationships can be affected by what people decide to post. Thankfully (so far), I've never had a boyfriend 'do' anything horrible on Facebook but this article talks about the very thing. In saying that though, I think you'd have to going out with an asshole to begin with. Either that or someone very paranoid.

Why do they have so many things you can 'become a fan' of on Facebook? Obviously I get that there are fan pages for bands, celebrities, television shows and the like - these are normal things to be a fan of. But the option to become fans of things like sunshine, naps, sex, flipping the pillow over to the cool side, cuddles and getting paid? I mean, who is not a fan of those things?And what exactly is discussed on these pages? Yes, you like it. There's nothing else to say people!

Facebook, I love you really. Check out this video about the realities of Facebook by Idiots of Ants and this website about having your parents as friends on Facebook. Mum and Dad - please don't comment on this.

Picture source: www.8ball.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Those were some really funny links. Loved the youtube vid. I am not on Facebook and the many many reasons you mentioned here confirm my conviction. Exes, awkward friend requests, the Internet sucking my life away. I already have enough problems with those things in real life thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Em, feeling down at work today and that just cheered me up. Love xx

    ReplyDelete