Sunday, March 6, 2011

London Street art

Before A got a job last week, I set her the challenge to find something cool and free for us to do one weekend, and she sure came up with a winner - The Alternative London Tour - a guided, two hour walking tour that runs at various times during the week and weekend. We turned up on a rainy Saturday afternoon at Spitalfield Markets to be guided around the the back streets of East London by our friendly tour guide Gary. Not only did we get to see some amazing street art, but he also told us about some of the history of the area and how it got to be what it is today. I've always been fascinated by street art - I truly believe it is an art and can also really help to regenerate areas of the concrete jungle. I find it interesting that it's so controversial - that some people can't seem to seperate tagging from genuine art. This tour restored my faith in the creativity and uniqueness of London, which I think can sometimes be hard to dig out in this city. I'll definitely be looking up and around more when I'm out and about in London.















No comments:

Post a Comment